John Deere X570 Lawn Tractor with 48-in. Deck
Engine is smooth running and reliable V-twin air-cooled design
The tractor is powered by a John Deere iTorque power system, a combination of engine features and an exclusive hood design providing superior lugging ability, even cooling, and durability. Key engine features include:
- 24 hp (17.9 kW)
- Large 44.3-cu in. (726-cc) displacement
- V-twin air-cooled design
- Excellent power and performance
- Smooth, quiet power
- Easy starts
- Quality features include:
- Cast-iron cylinder liners
- Overhead valves
- Full-pressure lubrication
- Replaceable oil filter
- Dual-stage air cleaner
- Solenoid-shift starter for easy starts, even in cold weather
A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 15-amp charging capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at a full charge, without risk of overcharging
Fuel tank has a large, 4.4-U.S. gal. (16.6-L) capacity
Quality fuel system components enhance performance and convenience:
- Large, 4.4-U.S. gal. (16.6-L) capacity
- Wide, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel tank filler opening
- Located on the left fender
- Makes adding fuel easy and helps eliminate spillage
- Sealed and tethered fuel cap
- Reduced fuel vapor loss
- Less chance of losing fuel cap
- Automotive-style fuel gauge on the dash
- Easy to read from tractor seat
- Reduces likelihood of running out of fuel
- Eliminates unnecessary stops to refill
48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ (48A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.83-in. (12.3-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional lever-action or electric one-touch MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow the mower to be set at the desired cut height
- Compatible with high-performance Power Flow™ material collection systems
- For use on X330, X350, X354, X370, X380, X384, X390, X394, X570, X580, X584, and model year 2016 and newer X590 Tractors
Excellent cut quality
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
- Exact Adjust deck-leveling system allows for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck
Productivity - getting the job done fast
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- The 48A Power Flow blower has an inlet housing with over 50 percent greater area than the 48X Power Flow blower used on previous machines.
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck:
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Side-discharge blades can be used with the Power Flow system when bagging.
Mulching blades are included with the optional MulchControl system. They can be used for mulching, side discharging, and bagging.
Mower blade use chart
Mode(s) of operation
Side discharging mode only
Side-discharge blade (shipped with mower)
Mulching mode only
Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)
Side discharge and mulching
Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)
Either side-discharge or mulching blade
Superior durability is designed in
The 48A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Stamped from strong 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) steel
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed
- The 48A has a 23 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 48-in. (122-cm) Mower Deck used on previous machines.
Mower wheels are heavy duty:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 48A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge, mulch, and bagging modes
The 48A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With an optional MulchControl system installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side discharging to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever or push of an electric switch.
- The Power Flow rear bagger can be used with MulchControl by simply using the MulchControl lever or electric one-touch switch to move the mulch baffle to the side-discharge position.
7-bu (247-L) Power Flow rear bagger
An optional 7-bu (247-L) rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves:
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install. The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup.
- The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 7-bu (247-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower (ordered separately)
- Easy-to-attach chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
Larger 14-bu (493-L) and 19-bu (670-L) MCS are available, in addition to the 7-bu (247-L) MCS, for specific X300 and X500 Series Tractor models.
Four-year or 500-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard
An exclusive 4-year or 500-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere X500 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
- Premium features of X500 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
Hydrostatic transaxle has traction assist
The integrated hydrostatic transaxle (IHT) encloses the hydrostatic pump and motor rotating groups in the same housing with the differential and axle housing:
- Very efficient piston-type design
- Fewer sealing surfaces to minimize potential for leakage
When combined with the foot controls, the hydrostatic transmission functions similarly to that of an automatic transmission in an automobile, so the term automatic is often used to describe it.
Key features of the drive system are as follows:
- Large pump and motor rotating groups for long life and efficient operation
- Full-length axle housings to support heavy loads
- Twin Touch™ foot control for easy and precise change of speed and direction
- Internal wet-disk brakes for long life and consistent operation. Brake interlock system that returns the foot control pedals to neutral during panic stops.
- Return mechanism that closes the freewheeling valve when the brake pedal is depressed to start the engine
- Replaceable oil filter for extra protection for tractors equipped with hydraulic lift and steering
Standard cruise control
Cruise control is standard equipment:
- Maintains a set tractor ground speed for mowing large areas or when driving the tractor from one location to another.
- Convenient, easy-to-use button to activate cruise control function.
- Release cruise control with brake pedal or forward Twin Touch™ foot pedal
Traction assist (differential lock)
Traction assist is standard equipment:
- Traction assist supplies positive power to both drive wheels for increased traction.
- Foot-operated traction assist control is convenient for the operator to use, when needed.
MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and rapid conversion
The optional MulchControl system makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- Creates a beautiful looking lawn
- Smaller grass clippings disappear into the lawn canopy
- Reduces fertilizer needs
- Grass clippings are not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- No need to dispose of bags of clippings
How MulchControl works
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl system includes an adjustable MulchControl baffle near the discharge chute and fixed baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl handle, or an electric one-touch actuator, is on top of the mower deck and is used to open and close the MulchControl baffle.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, most of the material flows freely out the discharge deflector or into a material collection system.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- For operators who usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- For operators who usually side discharge, but would like to close the chute to control clippings in some areas
- For operators who always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- For operators who collect clippings but want to go farther before emptying the material collection system
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings.
Electric one-touch MulchControl
Electric one-touch MulchControl systems shift the MulchControl baffle using an electric actuator that is operated by a dash-mounted switch.
Operators can convert between modes without interrupting the mowing process, making it possible to change between modes:
- When approaching driveways or flower beds where clippings would be undesirable
- When a breeze blows clippings back onto the operator
- For side discharge mowing only the areas of the property where grass is too thick for mulching
- With 48A and 54A Mower Decks, for collecting only the areas of the property where grass is too tall or thick for mulching
While in the side discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one third of the material. Therefore, the side discharge mode is essentially a partial mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
- 42A Mower Deck requires a MulchControl baffle be removed to install the bagger chute
When bagging with MulchControl on a 48A or 54A mower deck, the MulchControl baffle can be opened or closed with the Power Flow™ blower installed. The Power Flow blower runs without material when the baffle is closed.
Electric one-touch MulchControl attachments
|BUC10164||42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl||Model year 2016 and newer X300 Series Tractors*|
|BUC10165||48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors*|
|BUC10166||54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors*|
*NOTE: Model year 2016-2017 X300 and X500 Series Tractors (X300 serial number 10,001-50,000 and X500 serial number 110,001-130,000) require replacing the tractor wiring harness and dash panel to use an electric MulchControl attachment.
When bagging with MulchControl on a 42A mower deck, the cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl blades. However, the rear MulchControl baffle (A) needs to be removed to install the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
Each MulchControl system is an optional field-installed attachment and includes everything needed: baffles, mulch blades, a handle (lever action attachments) or an actuator, wiring, and switches (electric one-touch attachments).
Lever-action MulchControl attachments
|BUC10704||42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)||Model year 2016 and newer X300 Series Tractors, Z300 Series ZTrak™ Mowers|
|BUC10705||48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)||S240 Lawn Tractor, model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors, Z300 and Z500 Series ZTrak Mowers|
|BUC10706||54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors, Z300 and Z500 Series ZTrak Mowers|
Snow removal and yard care is a strength of lawn tractors
An advantage of lawn tractors is their ability to use attachments for snow removal and other yard-care chores. Lawn tractor owners can add a John Deere snow blower or front blade to make quick work of moving snow whenever the need arises. Weather enclosure and tire-chain attachments add comfort and performance.
Equipment available for snow removal includes:
- 44-in. (112-cm) Snow Blower for X570 Tractor
- 47-in. (119-cm) Snow Blower for X580, X584, and X590 Tractors
- 48-in. (122-cm) Front Blade
- Tire chains or TerraGrip traction belts
- Weather enclosure
Rotary tillers are real time savers for preparing seedbeds, controlling weeds, and other tillage jobs.
Equipment available for tilling includes:
- 30-in. (76-cm) Mechanical Rotary Tiller for X570, X580, and X590 Tractors
Steering is low-effort sector and pinion system
A heavy-duty sector and pinion steering system with quality bearings provides easy and precise control for the life of the tractor:
- Tight, 22-in. (56-cm) turning radius provides excellent maneuverability.
- Tight turning ability improves mowing efficiency.
Easy steering is important to give the operator an enjoyable mowing experience:
Larger, 14-in. (35.6-cm) diameter steering wheel improves leverage for easier turns.
Larger sector gear improves (increases) the steering ratio.
Higher steering ratio equals lower steering effort
Dual drag links help equalize steering loads and greatly reduce steering error.
Ball joints are provided on both ends of the steering tie rods.
Long steering arms improve the mechanical advantage of the steering system though the full range of motion.
Steering wheel/pinion gear shaft turns on a sealed ball bearing at the pinion gear.
Gives easy steering
Long steering system life
Sector gear pivots on a shaft rather than a bushing to ensure proper gear mesh and eliminate binding.
Upper and lower ends of the sector-gear shaft pivot on sealed ball bearings.
Reduce steering effort
Provide a smooth feel for the life of the tractor
Greaseable front steering spindles pivot on heat-treated bushings.
Reduce friction for easier steering
Improve wear over time
Control and display functions are easy to identify and convenient to use
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling and ergonomic controls for easy use:
- Controls are color-coded for easy identification by the operator.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The power take-off (PTO) switch allows the operator to get fingers underneath it, like a T-handle, to pull up for easy activation.
- The reverse implement option (RIO) switch is a yellow button.
- The latch control on foot-lift models and hydraulic-lift control on power-lift models and the park brake latch are pivot levers for low effort.
- Cruise control activation is handled by an automotive-style button.
- Separate engine speed and choke controls make starting and warming up the engine easier in cold weather.
- The choke lever is spring loaded to eliminate the chance the tractor will be unintentionally operated with the choke partially closed.
- Functional design of the throttle and choke controls provides good appearance and a comfortable feel.
Instrument display has the look and feel of a modern automobile. A power-up sequence cycles lights and gauges to indicate they are working:
- Display features dark-cockpit design to minimize operator distractions.
- Display is back lit for night visibility.
- Night visibility is especially useful with snow blower use.
- Hour meter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Electronic fuel gauge provides real-time fuel level information.
- A tachometer graphically displays engine speed.
- Target-zone graphics inform the operator of the engine speed range to use for best cut quality.
- An indicator tells the operator when the PTO is operating.
- Bright caution and stop lights capture the operator's attention when important information is on the instrument cluster.
- Damage can be prevented and repair costs reduced by addressing problems early.
- Operators are advised of what the problem is if they attempt to operate the mower with unsatisfied PTO, seat, or park brake interlocks.
- The indicators are also useful to identify the reasons the PTO or engine may have shut off when an interlock is unsatisfied.
- Operators are advised if battery voltage is low, normal, or excessive.
- The service indicator light illuminates to indicate a diagnostic error code is stored.
- On-board diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
- For example, a technician will be able to test switch functionality and circuit continuity without tools.
- On-board diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
Twin Touch™ foot control
Twin Touch foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Cruise control is standard equipment:
- To engage, push the cruise-control button and hold until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- For emergency stop, the cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
A lift-assist spring is provided on the tractor to minimize lift effort:
Lift effort can be easily adjusted by just turning a bolt located on the tractor front bumper for optimum performance, depending on the equipment used (mower, front blade, etc.).
Decals on the outside of the tractor frame indicate appropriate adjustment.
The mower will not be inadvertently locked in the raised position when mowing through ditches.
When installing or removing a mower or front equipment raised by the foot-lift system, spring tension may be removed from the connection points.
Pull rearward on the lift pedal and raise the lift latch to hold the pedal in the rearward position.
Mower deck height adjustment
A rotary dial knob makes adjusting the mower cut height quick and easy:
- Mower cut height can be adjusted in 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) increments from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm).
- Mower deck returns to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
- Onboard deck-leveling gauge and Exact Adjust tool conveniently located in the storage compartment under the seat
- Used in conjunction with Exact Adjust ports for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck for optimum mowing performance
Storage for the onboard deck-leveling gauge and the Exact Adjust tool is provided in the storage tray under the tractor’s seat:
- Exact Adjust ports allow for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck for optimum mowing performance.
Deck-leveling gauge is placed at the appropriate location under the left rear, right rear, and front of the mower deck as the cut height is adjusted using the Exact Adjust tool and front draft arm adjusting nuts.
Foot pedal lift system (X570)
Pushing with the foot to raise the mower or implement is less strenuous for many operators:
- Easy-to-use raised-position lock operates similarly to the park brake lock.
- Foot pedal is out of the way and not likely to catch on bushes and tree limbs when mowing.
- Mower deck returns to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
Convenient hydraulic lift (X580, X584, X590)
Convenient hydraulic lift lever makes raising and lowering the mower or implement easy:
- The hydraulic lift control lever is positioned on the dash near the steering wheel.
- Hydraulic lift provides quick, easy, and precise fingertip control of equipment.
- Implement float is built into the lift linkage.
Parking brake control
Depressing the brake pedal applies force to internal wet-disk brake (which provides excellent durability and long life) for safe stopping.
Parking brake control is conveniently located for easy access; holds brake pedal securely in locked position.
Electric PTO clutch is easy and convenient to use
The heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is operated with a convenient dash-mounted switch.
Heavy-duty PTO clutch
The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:
- Carefully check the area around the machine.
- Disengage the mower before backing up.
NOTE: Operating the mower while backing up is strongly discouraged. RIO should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.
- Stop forward travel. Allow attachment to run.
- Look down and behind the machine to be sure that there are no bystanders.
- Push and hold in the reverse implement switch while depressing the reverse pedal slightly.
NOTE: If the attachment stops while positioning the machine, return mower engagement (PTO) switch to off position. Repeat this procedure from the beginning.
- Release the reverse implement switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
- Resume forward travel. The attachment should continue operating.
- Repeat procedure to position the machine again.
Frame is formed from heavy-duty steel and welded for reliability
The frame is made of heavy-duty formed steel, reinforced in critical areas and welded for even greater strength:
- Frame is formed from 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.66-mm) thick material.
- Rear hitch plate is formed from 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) steel and completes the frame assembly.
- Rear hitch plate can support up to four 42-lb (19-kg) Quik-Tatch weights.
- Optional front bumper for the X570 Tractor can support up to four 42-lb (19-kg) Quik-Tatch weights.
Front axle and wheel spindles are heavy duty
The front axle is made of nodular cast iron:
- Strong and shock resistant
- Will not yield under heavy loads or impact
Replaceable bushings are used at the center axle pivot and steering spindles:
- Provide excellent wear resistance
- Grease cavity between bushings maintains lubrication and easy steering between greasings
- Easy-to-service grease fittings at each spindle
Front steering spindles
The front steering spindles are strong for long life:
- Have the strength to handle heavy implements
- 0.75-in. (19-mm) steering spindle diameter (X570)
- 1-in. (25.4-mm) steering spindle diameter (X580, X584, X590)
- Provide long life at bearing surfaces
- 0.75-in. (19-mm) diameter front wheel bearings (X570)
- 1-in. (25.4-mm) diameter front wheel bearings (X580, X584, X590)
- Sealed precision ball bearings at front wheels ensure long life and are maintenance free
Rear equipment-mounting system is heavy-duty and easy to use
A heavy-duty equipment mounting system is used:
- Includes strong frame mounts with a combination of mounting holes in the tractor hitch plate that accept pins or shoulder bolts to support heavy rear-mounted equipment.
- Easily attach optional equipment to the tractor
- Can bear the load of heavy rear-mounted equipment, such as material collection systems
Modern styling is eye appealing and functional
Smooth, rounded contours present a modern, styled appearance:
- Hood styling incorporates efficient full-length air-intake louvers on each side.
- Cooler engine operation
- Lower operator station sound levels
- Hot air is vented out the front grill, away from the operator.
- The fully enclosed hood is made of molded-in-color material.
- Reduces sound
- Will not rust or dent
- Distinctive grille and large, one-piece fender deck complete the styling package.
Versatility and premium features for great performance with larger equipment
Premium features ensure the versatility of X500 Series Tractors:
- Heavy-duty welded-steel frame with integrated rear weight bracket
- Integrated front weight bracket (X580, X584, X590)
- Air-cooled John Deere iTorque power system
- Differential lock
- Convenient foot-pedal lift system (X570) or easy-to-use hydraulic lift (X580, X584, X590)
- Low-effort manual steering (X570) or power steering (X580, X584, X590)
- Five-position tilt steering wheel (X584, X590)
- Heavy-duty all-purpose (HDAP) rear tires (X580, X590)
- Accel Deep™ Mower Decks with optional MulchControl™ system
Two headlights give excellent visibility
Headlights are standard equipment.
High-quality headlights make evening work easier and safer:
- Two 27-W bulbs provide excellent lighting for improved visibility during evening operation.
- A headlight position on the ignition switch makes it easy to operate the headlights.
- Headlights are designed to provide an optimum lighting pattern for mowing and snow removal.
Operator station is comfortable and convenient
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience in operating all controls. The controls are easy to use and color coded for quick identification.
The 15-in. (38-cm) open-back seat (X570) features distinctive styling and is designed for comfort:
- Seat travel of 6.6 in. (17 cm) with 15 positions allows the operator to be seated comfortably and easily operate the controls. Seat can be easily adjusted fore and aft by the operator while sitting on the seat.
- Open-back design allows air circulation to keep the operator's back cool and dry for a more comfortable ride.
- Grasp at the top of the seat is conveniently located for use when tilting the seat up to protect it from the weather.
The 21-in. (53-cm) high-back cut-and-sewn seat (X580, X584, X590) delivers a comfortable, smooth ride and excellent support for the operator:
- A smoother, more comfortable ride results from the use of more foam than in a form-in-place seat and more side-bolstering to stabilize the operator on uneven terrain.
- Improved visual appeal is provided by the thicker cushion, additional bolstering in the seat and back, and an embroidered John Deere logo that makes this upscale seat look as good as it feels.
- Long-term pliability and less chance of cracking are advantages of the cut-and-sewn process, which does not require heating during the manufacturing process and gives a more uniform vinyl thickness.
- Additional operator support and comfort is available with optional BM23761 armrests.
- Reduced cost of repair, should the seat cover be damaged, is available with a replaceable seat cover available from Parts.
Adjustable seat suspension
The seat suspension is easily adjusted to make most any operator comfortable:
- 6.6 in. (17 cm) of seat travel allows the operator to be seated comfortably and operate the controls easily.
- Seat can be easily adjusted fore and aft by the operator while sitting on the seat (15 positions).
- Seat features a suspension that is easily adjusted for the operator's weight and height.
- Springs provide a smooth ride and will not bottom out.
- Spring position is adjustable for the operator's weight.
- Seat tilts forward to keep the seating surface out of the weather.
- Tilting the seat forward keeps moisture and the sun off the seat cushion for greater operator comfort.
- Tool tray is designed into the seat base
- Can be used to store gloves, small tools, etc.
- Provides storage location for Exact Adjust tool and deck-leveling gauge
Optional 21-in. (53-cm) professional two-piece seat, four-bar suspension, and slide
The optional 21-in. (53-cm) professional two-piece seat, four-bar suspension, and slide shipped on Signature Series X700 Tractors is available as an upgrade seat and suspension for all X500 Multi-Terrain Tractors (model year 2006-). Key selling features for this seat include:
- Thick seat cushion for lasting comfort, even after a full day of use
- Back of seat can be angled to maximize operator comfort
- Convenient lever on the side of the seat unlocks back of seat to allow positioning
- Four-bar suspension and slide are included for extra comfort and bolt to the tractor's fender-deck mounting holes
- Standard armrests are included to increase operator support and comfort, thus reducing fatigue and improving productivity, especially when mowing for extended periods of time. Armrests are adjustable to suit the operator.
Tilt steering wheel (X584, X590)
- Five steering-wheel positions allow the operator to select the most comfortable setting (X584, X590).
Rubber foot pads
Rubber foot pads make the operator more comfortable:
- Help insulate operator's feet from vibration
- Attractive styling
- Long-lasting wear surface
- Reduce chance of slippage, even with wet surface
A cup holder and covered toolbox are conveniently located on the fender next to the operator's seat.
Handles on each fender are useful when getting on and off the tractor.
A mid-vehicle 12-V fast connector, located under the tractor’s fuse box, is included as standard equipment to reduce initial installation time for some attachments that operate on 12-V power from the tractor:
- The four-cavity connector includes battery, ground, and key switch terminals and is turned on and off with the ignition switch.
A 12-V outlet is standard equipment and provides a convenient plug-in for electrical equipment.
Serviceability is convenient with easy-open hood
The one-piece hood opens easily to permit checking and servicing the engine:
- Important service points are located within easy reach.
- A service-interval decal is provided inside the tractor hood for convenience when servicing the tractor.
The engine fuel and oil filters, the oil check/fill tube, and the oil drain tube are exposed for serviceability when the hood is opened.
Quick response (QR) codes link to owner information web pages
John Deere riding lawn mowers are supported by owner information web pages that include links to:
- Safety and how-to videos
- Operator’s manuals
- Parts catalog
- Maintenance reminder sheets
- Warranty statements
To speed access to owner information web pages, a QR code is printed onto a PIN label located under the hood on the trim side of the steering pedestal. Since each vehicle model has its own web page, the links are specific to the owner’s model. The QR code also includes the vehicle’s unique PIN which allows for additional customization of the owner information web page in the future.
Exact Adjust ports and onboard deck-leveling tools make precise deck adjustments easy
A mower deck must be level side-to-side and properly adjusted front-to-rear to give the best cutting performance. A removable onboard deck-leveling gauge and a hex-key tool are provided to make adjustment easy. They are securely stored under the tractor seat.
Exact Adjust leveling ports are provided on each side of the operator platform above the mower-level adjusting bolts. With the hex-shaped tool, they provide convenient access to allow quick and easy adjustment of the mower for the best-cut quality of cut.
The Exact Adjust feature is standard on all Select Series™ X300 and X500 Tractors:
- There is no need to reach under the fender deck while making the mower-level adjustment.
- Onboard deck-leveling gauge, Exact Adjust ports, and the hex tool work together.
- Level the mower deck side to side
- Set the correct amount of rake (front-to-back deck orientation)
- Calibrate the cutting height to the cut-height adjusting knob setting
- Exact Adjust simplifies leveling the mower deck if equipped with a Power Flow™ blower.
- To give the best cut, mower level should be adjusted if alternately mowing with and without blower installed. The Exact Adjust feature makes this easy.
Consult the operator's manual for the correct adjusting procedures for each tractor model. Basic adjusting steps to properly level the mower deck include:
- Park the tractor on a level surface.
- Inflate tires to the correct pressure.
- Consult the label for the cutting-height knob that is located on the console of the machine. This label shows deck-leveling position and location of deck-leveling adjustment points.
- Set mower cutting-height knob to the correct deck-leveling position.
- Adjust mower wheels as necessary so they do not contact the ground surface.
- Remove the onboard deck-leveling gauge that is located under the seat.
- Using the Exact Adjust ports and tool, adjust mower deck side-to-side level so the deck-leveling gauge just slips under the left and right lower deck rim at the designated adjustment points. The location of adjustment points will vary slightly between decks.
- Left- and right-rear adjustment points are under the deck rim near the rear mower wheels, if equipped.
- Adjust mower deck front-to-back level, if necessary.
- Loosen rear nuts equally on each side of front lift rod.
- Turn front nut equally on each side clockwise to raise front of mower or counterclockwise to lower it until gauge just slips under the front adjustment point.
- Tighten rear nuts after adjustment is complete.
- Return the gauge to its storage position.
NOTE: The adjusting tool supplied with the tractor is an 8-mm ball-hex key, part number M162737. The rounded end allows for some misalignment with the bolt as the deck is adjusted.
MowerPlus™ app helps maintain the tractor and lawn
Keep a John Deere riding lawn mower running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the lawn tractor’s barcode to get custom information. The app helps determine the best time to mow, communicates expert pre-mow tips, offers maintenance reminders, and provides walk-through guides.
Look for the MowerPlus app on the mobile device’s app store.
The app supports residential lawn equipment such as 100 Series, S240, X300, X500, X700, Z200 through Z600, and many similarly sized older products. It does not presently support tractor models numbered 1000 and larger, such as 1025R.
NOTE: Some product image variation may exist.
Also available is the John Deere MowerPlus smart connector (sold separately).
The John Deere MowerPlus smart connector wirelessly links a Select Series™ X300 or X500 Tractor to the MowerPlus app on a mobile device. The smart connector transmits engine usage to the app, making it easy to track maintenance intervals. It also transmits the fuel level to the app—when thinking ahead about Saturday morning mowing, the operator can make sure the tractor is fueled and ready to go.
|Engine power||24 hp
|Oil change||No-tools oil drain with replaceable filter|
|Transaxle type||K72 hydrostatic integrated with transaxle|
|Transaxle control||Twin Touch™ pedals|
|Rear tires||24x12-12 turf|
|Lift system type||Foot pedal with adjustable spring assist|
|Cutting width||Accel Deep™ mower deck, 48 in.
|U.S. warranty||4 year/500 hour bumper-to-bumper** (**Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
|Displacement||44.3 cu in.
|Type||Overhead valve, full-pressure lube, oil filter|
|Cylinders||V-twin, cast-iron liners|
|Choke/speed control||Separate levers, automatic choke return|
|Air cleaner||Dry, replaceable with foam precleaner|
|Oil change||No-tools oil drain with replaceable filter|
|Fuel delivery||Pulse pump and carburetor|
|Fuel gauge||Gauge on dash|
|Fuel tank location||Rear|
|Fuel fill opening||On left fender, 3 in.
|Fuel tank capacity||4.4 U.S. gal.
|Charging system||Flywheel alternator, regulated, 15 amp|
|Engine starter||Solenoid shift|
|Headlights||Two standard, incandescent, 27 W|
|Taillights or reflector||Reflectors|
|Rear work lights||No|
|Type||K72 hydrostatic integrated with transaxle|
|Control||Twin Touch™ pedals|
|Cruise control||Yes, button on dash|
|Oil cooler||Fins and fan on transaxle|
|Forward speed||0-7.2 mph
|Reverse speed||0-5.2 mph
|Brakes||Internal wet disc|
|Weight bracket||Standard rear, optional front - each holds up to four Quik-Tatch weights, 42 lb
|Front axle||Cast iron front axle, front wheel ball bearings|
|Spindle bushings||Metal, replaceable|
|Rear tires||24x12-12 turf|
|Hood material||Fully enclosed, molded-in color material reduces sound, will not rust or dent|
|Fender deck material||Stamped steel|
|Floor mats||Sure-grip rubber|
|Storage||Yes, under seat and covered toolbox|
|Service interval decal||Yes|
|Equipment mounting||Yes, heavy duty|
|Type||Manual, sector and pinion|
|Four-wheel steer||Not available on this model|
|Steering wheel||14 in.
|Tilt steering wheel||No|
|Turning radius||16 in.
|Uncut circle radius||23 in.
|Type||Open-back design with grasp|
|Seat back height||15 in.
|Fore-aft adjustment||While seated, slide rail, 15-position, 6.6 in.
|Seat suspension||Tilt, two coil springs, three-position no-tools adjustment for operator weight|
|Type||Foot pedal with adjustable spring assist|
|Mower cut height||13 positions, 1-4 in.
|Cut height increments||0.25 in.
|Preset cut height||Yes|
|Cutting width||Accel Deep™ mower deck, 48 in.
|Construction||Stamped steel deck shell|
|Mower deck material||10 gauge
|Mower wash port||Yes|
|Mower drive system||Electric power take-off (PTO) clutch, in-line belt|
|Mower wheel adjustment||Seven-position, spring-loaded pin|
|Mower level adjustment||Exact Adjust ports and onboard deck-leveling gauge|
|Type||Roll under tractor|
|Front draft arms||Attached with spring pins at two points|
|Rear draft arms||Quick-pull pins|
|Mower wheels rotate||Yes, 90 degrees for easy mower removal|
|Drive system||Dual belts|
|Meets ANSI standard||Yes|
|Meets OPEI standard||Yes|
|Backup protection||Reverse Implement Option (RIO)|
|Notes||Heavy-duty garden tractor transaxle
Steering spindle bushings for long life
Built-in rear weight bracket
|Warranty||4 year/500 hour bumper-to-bumper** (**Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
|Rear bagger||7, 14, 19 bu
247, 493, 670 L
|Powered material collection||Power Flow™ blower|
|Mulching system||Yes, MulchControl™|
|Front thatcher||38, 46, 54 in.
96.5, 116.8, 137.2 cm
|Front blade||48 in.
|Snow blower||Two-stage, 44 in.
|Rotary tiller||Mechanical, 30 in.
|Sleeve hitch||Yes, implements include box scraper, rear blade, plow, disk, and cultivator|
|Rear power take-off (PTO)|
|Sprayer||Tow-behind, 15, 25, 45 U.S. gal.
56.8, 94.6, 170.3 L
Mounted, 25 U.S. gal.
|Spreader||125, 175 lb
57.7, 79.4 kg
Mounted, 125 lb
|Front bumper||Styled bumper option|
|Weather protection||Weather enclosure|
|Rear receiver hitch|
|Bucket holder||Yes, double bucket|
|Grass striping||Lawn striping kit|
|Tractor shovel||40 in.
|Overall length||75 in.
|Width with mower||62.5 in.
|Width with mower (deflector raised for storage)||53.6 in.
|Width without mower||41 in.
|Weight||Mower, no fuel: 748 lb
|Manufacturing location||Horicon, Wisconsin, USA|