John Deere Mobile Weather
Double tap to zoom
Capture instantaneous weather information
Capture in-field weather information for on-the-go decision making. Accurate information is critical when making decisions surrounding product application, so it is important to use weather information that is specific to the operator and area being covered. John Deere Mobile Weather displays five critical values needed when determining the effectiveness of product application.
- Wind speed (true)
- Wind direction
- Delta T
- Relative humidity
True wind speed is wind experienced by a stationary object. Apparent wind speed is the total wind experienced without compensation for machine speed and direction.
John Deere Mobile Weather utilizes a third-party weather sensor that connects to the John Deere Application Controller 1120. Weather data is collected and distributed to the Gen 4 4600 CommandCenter™ Display or 4640 Universal Display for viewing and documentation. A John Deere Mobile Weather activation is required to utilize the Application Controller 1120 in order to monitor weather information and is included with the purchase of the product.
Producers running a Gen 4 4600 CommandCenter Display, 4640 Universal Display, or GreenStar™ 3 2630 Display are capable of documenting weather data; all other compatible GreenStar 2 Displays are only able to display the weather data without the ability to record. Weather information collected on a Gen 4 Display is compatible with the John Deere Operations Center. Once the weather information is collected in the GreenStar 3 2630, it can then be transferred to APEX™ software system for further analysis and record keeping. APEX has the ability to map air temperature, wind speed, and Delta T, while wind direction and humidity is available to be seen within the summary information.
Manage efficacy and potential drift of chemical applications
Utilize the customizable alerts and weather information to make educated decisions about when to spray. Monitoring temperature, wind speed, wind direction, Delta T, and relative humidity on the go allows operators to quickly and easily understand if the weather conditions are favorable or not for product application. Built-in alerts make it easy for operators to set operational parameters to know when unfavorable weather conditions are present. Having weather information in the cab allows operators to increase product efficacy and decrease the risk of chemical drift.
Delta T is a calculation that indicates the acceptable conditions to apply product; the value indicates if the product applied will evaporate prior to being absorbed by the plant. Delta T is a calculated by subtracting the wet bulb temperature from the dry bulb temperature. When applying, Delta T should be between 2⁰C (4⁰F) and 8⁰C (14⁰F), and not greater than 10⁰C (18⁰F). A higher Delta T value results in a faster evaporation rate and shorter droplet lifetime. Applicators can utilize the customizable alerts to notify the operator when Delta T is too high and product application is not favorable in order to ensure maximum product effectiveness.
Generation 4 Display compatibility
This document lists all the compatible equipment approved with the software update 19-2 release, and is subject to change with newer software updates. To ensure complete and proper compatibility, the most current version of implement control unit software, Generation 4 Display software, or compatible farm management information software (FMIS) should be used. Non-current software versions will require an update before support can be provided. Unapproved software version configurations will not be supported.
The software update 19-2 release is only compatible with 4600 CommandCenter™ v2 processors. Software update 17-2 is the last release that was compatible with 4600 v1 processors.
Server serial numbers are as follows:
- v1 = RWG prefix
- v2 = PCG prefix
John Deere Mobile Weather provides system accuracy within +/- 6.4 km/h (+/- 4 mph) up to a 64.3 km/h (40 mph) apparent wind. Apparent wind speed is the total wind experienced without compensation for machine speed and direction. Operating with a headwind and tailwind increases vehicle turbulence, negatively impacting wind speed accuracy. For optimal performance, Mobile Weather is recommended to be utilized in vehicle operation speeds less than 32 km/h (20 mph). John Deere Mobile Weather is not recommended for use in dry-box applications.
NOTE: Specifications are for a new sensor. System performance may vary based upon application.
- Measurement time: 10 minutes
- Power: 2.5 VDC at 2 mA to 5 VDC at 7 mA
- Output: 320-1000 mV at 3-V excitation
- Operating temperature range: -40 to 55⁰C (-40 to 131⁰F)
- Air temperature range: -40 to 55⁰C (-40 to 131⁰F)
- Air temperature resolution: 0.1⁰C (-0.1⁰F)
- Air temperature accuracy: ±1⁰C (±1.8⁰F), wind greater than 7.4 km/h (4.6 mph)
- Relative humidity range: 10-95 percent relative humidity
- Relative humidity accuracy: ±4 percent relative humidity
- Wind speed range: 0-144 km/h (0-92 mph)
- Wind speed accuracy, low wind speed: 0-18.5 km/h (0-11.5 mph), root-mean-square (RMS) error of 1.8 km/h (1.1 mph) + 10 percent of reading
- Wind speed accuracy, high wind speed: 18.5-144.5 km/h (11.5-90 mph), RMS error of 3.7 km/h (2.3 mph) or 5 percent RMS, whichever is greater
- Wind direction range: 0 degrees to 360 degrees
- Wind direction resolution: ±0.1 degrees
- Wind direction accuracy, low wind speed: 7.4-18.5 km/h (4.6-11.5 mph), 5 degrees RMS, typical
- Wind direction accuracy, high wind speed: Greater than 18.5 km/h (greater than 11.5 mph), 2 degrees RMS, typical
NOTE: When the wind speed is less than 7.4 km/h (4.6 mph) and/or air temperature is below 0⁰C (32⁰ F), wind, temperature, and relative humidity readings will be less accurate.
NOTE: RMS error is a measure of the differences between values predicted by a model and the values actually observed.
Dimensions, sensor body:
- Diameter, top: 72 mm (2.83 in.)
- Diameter, nut assembly, connection with sensor body: 45 mm (1.77 in.)
- Length, total: 131 mm (5.16 in.)
- Length, sensor body: 90 mm (3.54 in.)