John Deere 310SL Backhoe
Control the ride and load with Auto Ride Control
Auto ride control is based on an adjustable ground speed setting. When the set ground speed is reached, ride control will be turned on, creating a smoother ride for the operator and reducing spillage from the bucket. When the machine drops below the speed setting, ride control will be turned off, allowing for maximum productivity with the loader. Auto ride control is now the only ride-control option for 310SL through 710L. This option eliminates the need to manually turn the feature on and off during load and carry applications, boosting operator ease of use. Option code 9110 Manual Ride Control will continue to be available only for 310L EP and 310L models. Manual ride control requires the operator to manually turn on and off the function as required.
- When activated, front loader cylinders function as a shock absorber, smoothing the ride over rough terrain and reducing material spillage
- On/Off functionality is controlled by ground speed and can be adjusted by the operator in the cab’s display monitor
- Speed selectable in monitor
- Turns on ride control when ground speed exceeds setting in monitor
- Turns off ride control when ground speed drops below adjustable setting
Save Fuel with Economy Mode
Standard economy mode can be configured separately between loader and backhoe functions. Activate economy mode for backhoe functions while retaining full power for loader functions. This helps maximize fuel usage in lighter-work applications with minimal effect on machine performance.
- Quick and easy fuel savings are available at the push of a button
- Economy mode SSM push button activation for reduced fuel consumption on 310SL through 710L models. For models 310L EP and 310L, Eco Mode is controlled through the display’s menu.
Set it and go to work with AutoShift
AutoShift allows the operator to be more productive by keeping the unit operating at its peak performance. When enabled on the sealed-switch module (SSM), AutoShift automatically shifts the PowerShift™ transmission to the appropriate gear, enhancing the operator experience. Simply set the control lever to the highest gear desired, and the transmission will optimally shift based on engine rpm and ground speed.
- The transmission will optimally shift based on engine rpm and ground speed
- Improves the operator experience during transport or load and carry applications
- Smoothest shifting automatic transmission in the industry
- Improves operator comfort by reducing the number of times the transmission control lever (TCL) needs to be actuated during Loader operation
More lift capacity at the push of a button
Lift mode provides an additional boost of 10 to 15 percent. Simply push a button on the sealed-switch module to set engine rpm at 1,400 and maximize hydraulic pressure for increased lifting capability.
- Lift mode provides an increase in backhoe lift capacity of up to 10–15 percent.
- Sealed switch module (SSM) push button activation
- Automatically sets the engine speed to 1400 RPM
- Increases max hydraulic pressure to 27600 kPa (4000 psi) for optimal craning
- Bigger cylinders and structure for increased lift capacity
Redesigned Loader-Control Valve
The loader control valve has been redesigned. The new valve will help reduce hydraulic cylinder-rod drift, improve metering profiles and controllability, and boost three-point stance performance. The auxiliary flow has been increased by 5 gpm (19 L/min) for improved performance on high flow loader attachments.
- Updated to reduce hydraulic cylinder-rod drift and improve metering profiles and controllability
- Integrated, low-leak, check valves in loader boom and bucket rod circuits on 310SLthrough 710L models, improving three-point stance performance
- Electrohydraulic (EH) auxiliary hydraulics are now integrated into the valve body, for minimized connections and potential leak points.
- Maximum auxiliary flow has increased to 35 gpm (133 L/min), for improved performance of high-flow loader attachments.
- Reduced spool to bore leakage
- Anti-cavitation standard on boom and bucket to further help with back dragging applications
Improved Loader-Lever Linkage
- Anti-spill Linkage
- Low knee profile
- Pin retained
The loader lift arm is a fabricated design. The loader lift arm has a low knee profile for improved visibility. The guide link to lift arm pin is retained to prevent rotation for reduced wear and increased pin life.
The anti-spill function on base model L-Series Backhoes is mechanically activated. The anti-spill linkage runs down the right side of the loader lift arm and is set from the factory. Based on operator preference or over time, this linkage may require adjustment. Comments like an operator is ‘fighting’ the loader lever wanting more or less bucket rollback when raising the boom typically indicates the anti-spill linkage needs adjustment.
Enhanced “palm-on-top” loader-control grip is comfortable and easy to use. The loader-control valve has been redesigned to reduce resistance and improve its throw and feel.
- Lever travel from handle-to-linkage ratio has been reduced up to 15 percent.
- Update includes removal of the spherical joint and replacement with a forged U-joint and integrated needle bearings, for maximized durability.
- Maintains same loader grip and harness as previous L-Series Backhoes.
Pressure-Compensated, Load-Sensing PCLS Hydraulics
Pressure-compensated, load sensing (PCLS) hydraulics, provide better multifunctioning, smoother machine control, and up to 15 percent greater craning capacity with Lift Mode, collectively providing a distinctive customer experience and unmatched machine reliability. PCLS are highly valuable for Underground customers due to its productivity, lift capacity, quality and reliability.
The variable displacement axial piston pump creates hydraulic flow on demand, increasing hydraulic efficiency, decreasing fuel consumption, and lowering the daily operating cost for your customer. The field proven SCX 180 rear valve is common for all PCLS machines (310SL, 310SL HL, 410L, 710L)
Selective flow auxiliary rate selection is adjusted within the main display, eliminating the need to get out of the cab and adjust a manual knob on all PCLS machines.
Buttons for the horn, selective flow, auxiliary proportional roller, and extendable dipperstick have been incorporated into the pilot controls.
The PCLS system enables excellent multifunctioning ability at all engine speeds.
Trenching operation can be conducted at a lower engine rpm, reducing fuel consumption and jobsite noise.
Precision mode reduces hydraulic flow by 55 percent, allowing accurate, detailed backhoe work to be performed without sacrificing overall hydraulic-lift performance. Ideal for working in tight areas, around utilities, or while craning. Inexperienced operators will be able to use this feature to become comfortable with the backhoe, as they master their operating skills. Precision Mode can be activated with the press of a button on the SSM.
Powerful John Deere PowerTech™ EWL Engine
The John Deere PowerTech™ EWL eliminates the need for a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. Underground customers will appreciate the increased power, improved torque, and greater reliability compared to the previous design.
- EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4)/EU Stage IV emission certified.
- 3–7 percent net horsepower increase with improved torque curve.
- Removal of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system and components (plumbing, cooler, and sensors). Simpler two-valve cylinder-head design.
- Redesigned and improved fuel-filter location enables easy access when changing filters.
- Does not require a DPF, reducing maintenance costs on the aftertreatment system
- DOC Canister
- DEF Dosing Module
- SCR Canister
The 310L-410L model will now feature the Gen 2 EWL after treatment system (ATS).
- DEF fluid is injected directly into the DOC canister
- No decomp/mixer tube for DEF fluid injection.
Ground Level Serviceability
Check and change fluids quickly and cleanly from the ground to keep equipment running smoothly. Separating coolers is quick and easy. Worry less about contaminants and moisture entering the axle case and shortening the life of your oil and axle components.
- Same side, ground level daily service – including fuel fill; easy checks are more likely to get done, preventing a major failure, and reducing inspection time
- Two position easy tilt hood
- Hinged Cooling Package Design
- Fully sealed front and rear axles
The one-piece SLX engine hood is constructed of a durable, paint-less plastic hood process. The hood retains the 2-position functionality for easy daily service checks and outstanding accessibility to the engine and cooling package with the loader boom raised and locked in position.
- Angled and sloped hood provides improved visibility to front loader and forks
- Integrates color into the molding process, eliminating the need for exterior paint
- Reduces visible surface scratches
- Improves hood alignment with mounting saddle and latching
- Minimizes flexing with reinforcement at the pivot and sides
|Engine Manufacturer||John Deere|
|Engine Model||PowerTech EWL 4045HL050|
|Displacement, ltr (Inches³)||4.5 (276)|
|Rated Speed, rpm||1600|
|Engine Output - Net, kW (hp)||77 (103)|
|Transmission Type||Power Shift|
|Service Brake Type||Wet Disc|
|Service Brake Actuation||Hydraulic w/Power Assist|
|Max length with std. Stick, mm (ft/in)||7280 (23 ft 11 in)|
|Height over std Stick, mm (ft/in)||3480 (11 ft 5 in)|
|Height over ext Stick, mm (ft/in)||3490 (11 ft 6 in)|
|Maximum Width, mm (ft/in)||2200 (7 ft 3 in)|
|Width over tires, mm (ft/in)||2200 (7 ft 3 in)|
|Wheelbase - 4WD, mm (ft/in)||2190 (7 ft 2 in)|
|Ground Clearance, mm (inches)||330 (13)|
|Width - General Purpose Bucket, mm (ft/in)||2184 (7 ft 2 in)|
|Bucket Rotation - Position 1, Degrees||190|
|Bucket Pin Height - General Purpose, mm (ft/in)||3470 (11 ft 5 in)|
|Dump Height - General Purpose, mm (ft/in)||2760 (9 ft 1 in)|
|Dump Reach - General Purpose, mm (inches)||678 (26.7)|
|Digging Depth - General Purpose, mm (inches)||83 (3.3)|
|Fuel Tank, ltr (gallons (US))||128.7 (34)|
|Hydraulic Tank, ltr (gallons (US))||45 (11.9)|
|Bucket Capacity - Standard General Purpose, m³ (yd³)||0.86 (1.12)|
|Bucket Tearout - Non-Extending Dipper, kN (lbf)||55 (12356)|
|Stick tearout, kN (lbf)||36.6 (8229)|
|Boom Lift - Maximum Reach - Non-Extending Dipper, kg (lbs)||1717 (3786)|
|Bucket Breakout - General Purpose, kN (lbf)||49.2 (11052)|
|Lift To Full Height - General Purpose Bucket, kg (lbs)||3492 (7698)|
|Pump||Variable Axial Piston Pump|
|Pump Flow, lt/min (gallons (US) / min)||159 (42)|
|Operating Weight, kg (lbs)||7419 (16357)|